![]() |
Dane Pavilion (Source: Leila Muller) |
![]() |
The Evans Orchestra (Source: D. Harvey in Sea, Sand and Swamp, p.50) |
Ingham, or “Little Italy”, is the heart, and the mighty Herbert River the artery, of the Herbert River Valley. Discover the absorbing history of the town of Ingham, the Valley, and its surrounds that span seemingly endless fields of sugar cane, rivers teeming with crocodiles, swathes of thick jungle, cloud dappled mountain ranges, and beaches misty with salty air.
![]() |
Dane Pavilion (Source: Leila Muller) |
![]() |
The Evans Orchestra (Source: D. Harvey in Sea, Sand and Swamp, p.50) |
As I research and write history, I always feel that I should
add a disclaimer: this is the story, until further research proves otherwise!
THE FOLKLORE
I have oft repeated the story of the enigmatic Caterina
Cordelia as given us by history buff and newspaper editor Robert Shepherd who
may have got it from Alec S
Kemp, The Kemp Report. According to local lore an Italian
woman, Caterina Cordelia, arrived on the Herbert as the housekeeper for licenced
surveyor Maurice Geoffrey O’Connell who along with his
brother John Geoffrey O’Connell and William McDowall (McDowell) are
attributed with the first planting of sugar cane in the Herbert River Valley.
It has always
been thought that a number of landscape features eg: creek and hill, were named
for her. What happened to the O’Connells and McDowall can be tracked through
newspaper reports and documents, but the fate of Caterina Cordelia has remained
a mystery.
Until now…………….
FOLKLORE DEBUNKED
Bill Kitson, Retired Senior Curator, Museum of Lands Mapping
and Surveying and coauthor of works such as Surveying Queensland 1839-1945,
A Pictorial History and With Great Zeal. Charting of the Queensland
Coast by the Royal Navy 1861-1913 appears to have solved the mystery and in
so doing debunked the folklore.
This is what Bill writes and I quote:
In 1866 Maurice, who was at that time the Commissioner of
Crown Lands for the North Kennedy Pastoral District, carried out a feature
survey between Saltwater Creek just to the north of Townsville, up to and along
the south bank of the Herbert River from Long Pocket to Halifax. On his plan of
survey he names several features including a Mt Catherina where Mt Cordelia is
today. At the base of it there was a small creek flowing into the Herbert
River, which he leaves unnamed. Surveyor George Phillips would in May 1872 call
this Katharina Creek. In September that year he also gives O’Connell’s Mt
Catherina the name Mt Katharina.
It appears that Maurice was unaware that in 1866 George
Strong Nares RN had given the feature the name of Cordelia hill. Nares had
carried out a hydrographic survey between Gould and Rattlesnake Islands (Ref D9482/1 G S
Nares, Salamander1866), during which he named several features in the Palm
Island group after Royal Naval vessels, that had served on the Australia
Station, eg, Pioneer Bay, Pelorus Island, Orpheus Island, Hazard Bay, Harrier
Point and on the mainland opposite the islands, Cordelia hill.
SO!
(1) Mt
Cordelia was named after a vessel of the Royal Navy, not a person.
(2) Yes, a
feature was called Mt Catherina by O’Connell on his 1866 survey.
(3) The creek
at the base was not named Katharina creek by O’Connell on his 1866 survey.
NOW!
In relation to a mysterious “Italian Lady” named
K/Catherina, I offer the following information.
After Maurice’s death in December 1868, his younger brother
John Geoffrey O’Connell, who had been his assistant since 1865, got married in
April 1869 at Cardwell. On the Marriage certificate it showed that John was a
farmer at Katherina Plains Herbert River (O’Connell Bros sugar selection). John
would not become an Authorised surveyor until June 1869. His bride was listed
as Maria Katherina Louise Cesar (Caesar) age 20
years. She was in fact christened at St Andrew’s Church Sydney in October 1848
as Catharine Lewis (Louis?) Caesar. Her
father was Alfred Louis Cesar (Caesar) and mother Marion Lockhart. Alfred was a
linguist working with the New south Wales Police Department. It appears that he
may have been born in Mauritius, as his father was Julius Cesar (Caesar),
assistant port master at Port Louis for thirty five years. Her mother Marion
(Mary) died in 1850, her father remarried in 1853 but died a few years later in
1857.
It is possible that a young woman losing both parents at
such an early age might be capable of heading to the wilds of north Queensland
while still a teenager?
If the O’Connell brothers named their sugar selection [first
taken up in 1868] after her when she was 19 years of age, then there is a
chance that she may have been with them in 1866 at age 17 years, when O’Connell
carried out his original survey??????.
So, there you have it. There was no Caterina Cordelia but there may
have been a Maria Katherina Louise Cesar (Caesar). What is so gratifying about the solving of
this mystery is that Bill has made an invisible woman visible, and corrected
some inaccuracies in the historical record of our district.
Source:
Kemp, Alec S. The Kemp Report, unpublished text, n.d.
Kitson, Bill. The Mysterious “Catherina Cordelia”.
Vidonja Balanzategui, The mysterious Caterina Cordelia.
Interpreting Ingham History Blog, 24 July 2022.
![]() |
StateLibQld 2 239314 Herbert River with Mount Cordelia in the background |
![]() |
![]() |
A ‘classic plantation’ and longest operating of the now defunct mills. Ripple Creek Mill, 1884. (Source: Hinchinbrook Shire Council Library Photographic Collection) |
![]() |
The 100 horse mill stables, Ripple Creek, n.d. (Source: Hinchinbrook Shire Council Library Photographic Collection) |
![]() |
1893. Ripple Creek Estate
Mill Docket, small farmer Daniel Pearson. Source: Pearson family,
Brooklands. |
FORMATION OF RETURNED SOLDIERS LEAGUES
Already by
1915 invalid returning soldiers from World War 1 were forming associations and
gathering in clubhouses to discuss their health problems and concerns about the
lack of coordinated repatriation facilities and tailored medical services.
In May 1916
representatives of those associations met in Sydney and then Melbourne to
address the need for a unified approach to these concerns. A constitution was
formulated and the provisional name the Returned Soldiers and Sailors
Imperial League of Australia (RSSILA) was decided upon.
At the first
Federal Congress held in Brisbane in September 1916 the RSSILA was formally
constituted and name adopted.
In November 1940 the name was changed to
include airmen: Returned Sailors, Soldiers and Airmen’s Imperial League of
Australia (RSSAILA).
In October
1965 the name was condensed to Returned Services League of Australia.
Then in
September 1990 another name change was made to cater for a wider membership as,
with the passing of time, an exclusive membership of returned servicemen and
women could no longer be sustained. Today the organization is known as the Returned
& Services League of Australia.
FIRST
MOVES TO BUILD A MEMORIAL HALL - 1920
Already, in
Ingham, returned soldiers had formed themselves into what may have been an
unofficial branch of the RSSILA as it wasn’t until 1924 that the North
Queensland District of the RSSILA was established. In January 1920 the group
held a dance to raise money for a soldiers’ ‘rest room’ in Ingham. The first
ANZAC DAY dinner was held at the Masonic Hall on Palm Terrance in Ingham in
1920. After the opening of the Shire
Hall on 18 March 1921 the Honour Roll was housed in the Shire Hall and ANZAC
Day ceremonies were conducted outside that building.
A committee was
formed of three returned soldiers (Messrs G. Groundwater, E. Billam and C.
Renouf) and three civilians (Messrs F. Cassady, G. Cantamessa and G.G.
Venables) for the aim of raising funds for a Memorial Hall. A two storied brick
and concrete building was envisaged whose entrance would house the honour
board. The building would include a meeting room, shops and offices for rent in
order to provide revenue to assist paying off the building and for running
expenses.
The committee
investigated the possibility of obtaining a vacant allotment (originally where
the postmaster’s residence had stood) in Lannercost Street between the Post
Office and the Police Sergeant’s residence. It was anticipated that between
£2000 and £3000 would be required to build the Memorial Hall. Already on the
occasion of the visit of the Italian Consul, Count di San Marzano to Ingham in
1929 when the Italian Returned Soldiers’ Association contributed £35 to the
construction of a Memorial Hall, £1000 had been raised.
FORMATION
OF THE INGHAM SUB BRANCH OF THE TOWNSVILLE RSSILA - 1933
Perhaps
spurred on by Halifax which had unveiled a concrete obelisk as a war memorial on
ANZAC DAY 1933 and the remark on that occasion that Ingham “was still without
anything of the sort” a large number of returned soldiers met in Ingham in June
1933 to discuss the formation of a branch of the RSSILA and the building of a
Memorial Hall to commemorate the fallen of World War 1and to provide a meeting
place for returned service men of which there were at least 120 returned
soldiers living in the district.
The
President and Secretary of the Townsville branch of the RSSILA addressed the
meeting and suggested that a sub branch of the Townsville branch be formed. As
a result of this meeting a Herbert River sub branch committee (herewith
referred to as the Sub Branch) was constituted.
LITTLE
PROGRESS ON MEMORIAL HALL IN THE 1930s
However, the
acquisition of a block of land for a Memorial Hall did not go smoothly. The
Lannercost Street site was vetoed in September 1933 by the Lands Department because
a piece of land on Townsville Road had already been allotted for that purpose. When
the returned soldiers had applied for the Townsville Road land in the early 1920s
the Lannercost Street block was not up for application. The 1927 flood saw the
Townsville Road allotment go many feet under water which proved its
unsuitability for the location of the Memorial Hall, hence the Sub Branch
preferring a main street location.
After another
unsuccessful bid to secure any of the town allotments that went up for lease in
early 1934, the Lands Department agreed that the Council could excise a portion
of the Shire Hall land for the use of
the Sub Branch on the proviso that it agreed that the land would revert back to
the Council when and if the returned soldiers no longer had any use for the
land.
In 1935,
tenders were called for the building of the hall with shops on the land
adjacent to the Shire Hall but not before another block of land that came up
for lease opposite the Court House on Palm Terrace was considered but rejected.
But by 1936 even the idea of building near the Shire Hall had faltered.
Though fund
raising by the Memorial Hall committee continued the momentum faltered.
VINCENT EDWARD
HAY SWAYNE, SOLICITOR OFFERS 4 HAWKINS STREET
A new
two-storied brick and concrete building never eventuated. Just before the outbreak
of World War 2, which ironically would see a member of the founding Memorial
Hall Committee Giuseppe Cantamessa interned as an enemy alien. Vincent E. Swayne,
solicitor, and his wife Helen (nee Fraser) offered their home to the Memorial
Hall committee. The house was a typical Queenslander style and incorporated a
tennis court as many houses then did. Because Swayne had named his property
Kentucky, the court was called the Kentucky Court. Swayne and his family
were avid tennis players and visiting teams from north and south of Ingham
would travel to compete on this court. On one occasion there were 150 spectators
watching the hotly contested matches.
The building
was acquired for £1750 payable on terms. However, Swayne suggested that he
donate £250 towards the furnishing fund if the Sub Branch would pay £1500 outright
in cash. The Sub Branch secured a £500 overdraft, and the deal was completed.
The Diggers’ Hack Club transferred £117 to the Sub Branch to help pay off the
bank overdraft. The furnishing of the ‘Diggers’ Club Rooms’ and alterations
required to convert the former home to a club house would be achieved with the
donations already received which amounted to £370 and a piano donated by Swayne
in addition to the agreed upon £250.
The Sub Branch
took possession of the house a few days before it held its first annual general
meeting in its new clubhouse at 4 Hawkins Street on Sunday 6 February 1938.
The original Swayne house continued to be renovated for the growing and changing needs of the RSL. Renovations to the club house occurred in the early 1970s, 1999 and 2010. The clubhouse hosted North Queensland District Congresses in 1948, 1957, 1983,1995 and 2011.
Kentucky Tennis Court (Source: Hinchinbrook Shire Library Photograph Collection) |
SOURCES:
A Short
History of the beginnings of the RSL, http://www.rslangeles.com/history-of-the-rsl/
Herbert
River Sub Branch Inc. https://www.rslqld.org/about-us/herbert-river-sub-branch-inc
TROVE –
newspapers 1929-1959
Vidonja
Balanzategui, The Herbert River Story, Ingham: Hinchinbrook Shire
Council, 2011.
Who would have thought that in researching the origins of
the naming of MARKEY STREET Ingham I would discover a regretful oversight in
local RSL records.
In World War 1 in 1915, Irish born William John Markey
was a labourer in Ingham when he enlisted. He was killed in 1916. William John
Markey is recorded as one of the ones the All Souls Church, Victoria Estate is
dedicated to. He is honoured at the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial and in the Commemorative
Area Australian War Memorial - Panel 20. On his record held at the Australian War
Memorial it says that the cenotaph on which his name should appear is Herbert
River as that is where he enlisted. William John Markey is not recorded on
the cenotaph, nor on the RSL honour board.
In World War 2 in 1943 Ingham born Thomas Markey enlisted in
Townsville at the R.A.A.F Recruiting Unit, and formerly joined up in Brisbane. He
did not die overseas while in action but in Greenslopes Hospital, Brisbane from
an unspecified illness less than three weeks after enlistment. He is buried in Lutwyche
Cemetery, Lutwyche, Brisbane, Queensland. His name is located at panel 115 in
the Commemorative
Area at the Australian War Memorial. On both the cenotaph
and the honour board in the Ingham RSL Thomas Markey is recorded as a casualty
of World War 2.
So who were Thomas and William Markey?
Private William John MARKEY. No. 373. William John
Markey was born in Belfast, Antrim, Ireland. He was the son of William
& Ellen Markey, of 51 Annadale St., Belfast, Ireland. He came to Australia
as a 19-year-old. He enlisted on 13 April 1915 in Ingham, Queensland. His occupation
prior to enlistment was labourer. His mother was recorded as his next of kin. He
embarked on 25 May 1915, in Brisbane, Queensland on the Ascanius. He was a member of the
Battalion: 2nd Australian Division Light Trench Mortar Battery,
Australian Infantry. He was killed in action on 5 August 1916 aged 23 years. His
personal effects: a bible, wallet and photos were returned to his mother on his
death.
![]() |
William John Markey (Source: Irish Born Soldiers of the AIF) |
Aircraftsman Class 1 Thomas Markey 152019. Thomas was the son of Patrick Markey and wife Jane (nee Dunlop) who were early residents of the district. Thomas was born on 26 April 1925. Patrick made application for a perpetual lease selection in the Parish of Lannercost in 1927. The Markey family had a sawmill at Log Creek in 1924. Thomas enlisted on 17 July 1943 at 18 years of age. His occupation was mail contractor, but he also worked in his father’s sawmill. He had hoped to take on a technical traineeship but failed the aptitude test so was given the duties of aircraft hand. His father was listed as his next of kin. Tragically Thomas died less than three weeks after enlistment in Greenslopes Hospital, Brisbane, Queensland on 4 August 1943 of an unspecified illness. According to a Hinchinbrook Shire Council document, Future Road Names - Hinchinbrook Shire Council, dated 2011 the street is named for Thomas Markey.
![]() |
Thomas Markey (Source: AWM) |
Rectifying the omission
Nobody would argue that Thomas Markey’s name should not be
on a cenotaph, after all he volunteered and died while on duty even if it was
in the comfort of a hospital bed back in Australia, rather than on the field in
course of raging battle. However, it does bring into question what is the local
RSL’s criteria for both cenotaph and honour board. As cenotaphs began to be erected
across Australia after World War 1 they had different criteria for who should
be recorded on the cenotaph. Usually though, the cenotaphs record those war casualties
who died in the field and who were residing in the place of enlistment at the
time of enlistment. If Thomas Markey who lived in Ingham but enlisted in
Townsville and died on home ground is recorded why then is William Markey who
lived in Ingham, enlisted in Ingham and died in France in action not?
How different the criteria can be is illustrated by the
centotaphs that record the REJECTS! Yes, that is the word used on the
cenotaphs! Rejects were those local men who enlisted but were rejected because
of flat feet, myopia, sunken chest or other physical conditions that were
thought would hinder their ability to perform their duties in a war zone. What
is demonstrated in including a REJECTS column is that those men had exhibited
their bravery in volunteering and so were worthy of recognition.
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission and the Australian War
Memorial are discerning about who is considered a war casualty. For instance, local
Victor John Cowen was only relatively recently added to the Ingham cenotaph and
RSL honour board at the intervention of Lloyd Greentree on behalf of the
Herbert River RSL sub-branch. Cowen was not initially recorded as ‘war dead’
because he died as the result of a motor bike accident in an area not publicly classified
as a war zone at the time of the Indonesia-Malaysia conflict in which Cowen had
seen action in flying missions. Only in 1996 did the Australian Government
release classified information about the exact nature of Australia’s involvement
in the Indonesia-Malaysia conflict and its secret cross-border missions, so
allowing commemorations of those Australians, like Cowen who had lost their
lives.
William John Markey is another clear omission from both the
Ingham’s cenotaph and the RSL honour board and hopefully that omission will be
rectified before the next ANZAC Day.
Sources:
Irish born soldiers of the AIF. https://irishsoldiersaifww1.weebly.com/
W. Markey. https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8214871
T. Markey. https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=5364915
![]() |
Source: South Pacific Enterprise |
![]() |
Source: South Pacific Enterprise |
Many interesting women and their stories are woven into the history of the Herbert River district. One such woman is Ellis
Rowan. Her exploits and success were remarkable for the era in which she lived. This lenghty blog researched and written with thanks by Chris and Vivienne Parry is a fascinating read. Ellis Rowan and her son Puck
Ellis Rowan was Australia's most celebrated flower painter of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. An emancipated woman far ahead of her time, she turned what her fellow Australian artists deemed a 'genteel' female pastime of flower painting into an adventurous and profitable career that took her all over the world. In a career spanning fifty years and ending with her death in 1922, she produced more than 3,000 paintings, many of which she succeeded in placing in public collections. She exhibited her work as far afield as London and New York and achieved acclaim at the great world expositions of her day, winning ten gold, fifteen silver and four bronze medals. Queen Victoria selected three paintings for her private chambers. She was also a writer, she recounted her travels in the popular press and in a book entitled A Flower-Hunter in Queensland and New Zealand, published in 1898.
She was born in 1848 to a wealthy pastoralist family of Victoria. Besides a position of privilege, she inherited a talent for art and natural history. Following her education in Melbourne, she visited England and probably took art lessons, though she claimed, with characteristic exaggeration, to have been entirely self-taught as an artist. She began exhibiting her paintings at about the time of her marriage in 1873 to Frederic Charles Rowan, a British army officer then serving in New Zealand and later a successful Melbourne businessman.
Ellis Rowan trekked to remote and distant places ― all over Australia, New Guinea and to the tropics of Queensland on at least six occasions. She saw herself more as an artist and public educator than a botanical illustrator. She wanted to record not the structure of flowers, but to show how they grew in their native habitats: by sea or swamp, in sparse desert, or as in north Queensland, in dense rainforest.
Though Ellis placed artistic effect over scientific record, the subjects of her paintings are accurate enough to be readily identified. Throughout her career she called on botanists to identify her subjects, sometimes sending specimens as proof.
From 1887, Ellis Rowan travelled extensively in Queensland and Western Australia in an ambitious scheme to record the Australian flora. She found the tropical flowers 'more beautiful than all' and returned again and again to Queensland during the winter months.
To explain her long absences from her husband and young son while on her travels, she invented a socially acceptable excuse: that she could not withstand the severity of Melbourne's winters. The truth is that, despite her fragile appearance, she was a woman of enormous physical stamina and determination. She returned to Melbourne only days before the untimely death of her husband, from pneumonia, in December 1892. It was found that the husband was bankrupt, so needing an income Ellis began seriously exhibiting and selling her paintings.
By then approaching her sixties, her zest for travel had not diminished and she was determined to gain recognition for her life’s work. She travelled in South Australia, Western Australia, Victoria and Queensland, financing her travels with regular exhibitions. Prompted by a commission for paintings of birds of paradise for a Royal Worcester fine china tea set, she made extensive visits to Papua New Guinea in 1916 and 1917. Travelling through rugged and dangerous country to paint the endangered Birds of Paradise, she fell victim to malaria which eventually broke her health.
In Sydney in 1920, she staged what was then Australia's largest art exhibition, showing more than one thousand works. Her takings from sales of over £2,000 set a national record for a woman artist. That’s about $160,000 in today’s money. But Ellis wanted more lasting success. She was determined to place her paintings in the public domain.
Ellis wished to have her own paintings together on public display. For many years Ellis, and later a memorial committee, lobbied the Australian Government to purchase her collection, even though at that time there was no national gallery to house it. The government eventually paid £5,000 for 947 paintings, in today’s money over $460,000. They are now kept in the National Library of Australia, in Canberra.
In 1887, at the age of thirty-nine, she made her first painting expedition to Queensland. After time in Brisbane, where she had introductions to the Premier and the Government Botanist, she headed to Mackay by coastal steamer where she had heard there were 'many beautiful flowers' to be found at that time of the year. Not disappointed, she stayed for almost seven weeks.
She travelled to Townsville and from there she went to the sugar plantations of the Herbert and Johnstone Rivers. In the Herbert she stayed at Macknade House, and painted flowers from the gardens and orchids collected from the surrounding rainforest. She arrived in time for the annual Ingham show and race meeting. Here she met many people and gained invitations to other plantation houses and gardens. Ellis especially liked Lucinda Point and did several paintings there.
![]() |
Herbert River Cocky Apple, Lucinda |
On a later visit to the Herbert she stayed at Farnham plantation, where her niece, Joice Nankivell, was a six-year-old. Joice Nankivell went on to become the most famous woman to be born in this district for her work with children escaping Europe in WWII and later helping Greek refugees escape from the war with Turkey. Today there is a monument to Joice in the Ingham Botanical Gardens. After Farnham Plantation went bankrupt Joice and her mother went to live with relatives in Victoria, and there she saw Ellis again and visited her at her home at Mt Macedon. Joice later wrote that it was Ellis who encouraged her to be a journalist and to travel overseas.
![]() |
Herbert River Shining Starlings |
She returned to Queensland in the winters of 1891 and 1892 for more extensive visits. On one visit Ellis made grand tours of the Torres Strait islands in the Queensland Government steamer the Albatross, as guest of John Douglas, the Government Resident at Thursday Island, who was her brother-in-law. On Thursday Island she met Sana Jardine, said to be a Samoan princess, who was the wife of Cape York pioneer Frank Jardine. She invited Ellis to stay at their home, called Somerset, on the Cape York mainland. Somerset had been the home of the Government Resident of Cape York and Ellis did many paintings there. Sana then took Ellis on a boat trip to the outer islands of the Torres Straits.
On at least one of her visits to Cairns, Ellis visited Hambledon House, built by the Swallow family, the wealthiest sugar planters in the district. The house had a huge library and a ballroom lit by crystal chandeliers. Ellis put her sketch of the house in her book.
On her visit of 1892 Ellis Rowan spent some time in Cooktown. Her object on this trip was to paint the Cooktown Orchid. From there she made an expedition to the remote Bloomfield River, and it here beside the river she found much to paint, including the Wonga Vine and the Moonflower. Ellis then made a strenuous climb of Mount Macmillan to look out over the Bloomfield valley to the coast: a scene she described as ’one of the finest in all Queensland’. From 1911 to 1913, Ellis, then in her sixties, undertook more visits to Queensland.
![]() |
Herbert River Snow Wood |
Ellis Rowan was possibly the most enthusiastic of all the traveller-artists to visit the Queensland tropics in her day. In 1892, looking out over the Bloomfield Valley, she wrote: ‘... if our Australian artists only knew what rich and endless subjects they would find in Northern Queensland, they would surely make up their minds to endure a little roughing and camping out ...at this time of year. It would well repay them.’
She was fortunate enough to travel when much of the countryside was botanically unexplored and its natural beauty unspoilt, when she could share the joy of finding rare or even unknown specimens. Above all, it was the botanical richness of the tropics that attracted Ellis.
Though she stressed the importance of recording her subjects in situ, working quickly, she usually completed them in a nearby plantation house or hotel. Her book recounts how she laboured into the night, painting specimens collected on excursions or presented to her by local residents. Though executed indoors, the paintings generally have the freshness of works painted in the open air, for she was a rapid and direct worker, proud that she could apply her paints without the aid of pencil under-drawing.
Ellis Rowan did not claim to be a botanical artist in scientific terms, but her evocative paintings and writings did much to raise public appreciation of the Australian flora. She left a precious record of the Queensland landscape in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and of plant species that are now disappearing.
Adapted from Judith McKay, Ellis Rowan: A Flower-Hunter in Queensland (Brisbane: Queensland Museum, 1990)
Other references:
National Library of Australia
Ellis Rowan. A Flower Hunter in Queensland and New Zealand. 1898
M. Hazzard. Australia’s Brilliant Daughter Ellis Rowan. 1984
P. Fullerton. The Flower Hunter Ellis Rowan. 2002 NLA
J McKay. Ellis Rowan A Flower Hunter in Queensland 1990